Monday, August 29, 2011

Pattern Report: Kwik Sew 3700, version D, clutch

Kwik Sew 3700 clutch
I love patterns that include multiple styles. I like choices and I like to be able to try different techniques. The other day my daughter and I used scrap fabric and the pattern for version B of Kwik Sew 3700 to make a purse as a gift.

Today my daughter and I  share version D of Kwik Sew 3700 that we made as another gift for another friend. The pattern was cute and the clutch purse we made did come out looking like the bag on the package. Yay!

Cut the fabric
My daughter embroidered the name on the fabric using our embroidery machine before cutting the fabric.  She cut the pattern while the machine embroidered and then asked me to take over so she could Skype.  We were on a deadline as we needed the present for a party.

I cut the fabric (taking care that the name was placed correctly on the flap) and cut heavy Pellon fusible interfacing. The pattern made a facing optional, but after discussing it, we opted to face both sides of the purse. I ironed the interfacing to the fabric.

Serge the point
After cutting the pieces, I departed from the instructions. I used my sewing machine to sew the two notches on the bottom of the purse and then I used my serger to make a rolled edge on the "V" point of the purse flap.

Serge the seam
I pinned the two pieces of the purse together and then basted the purse using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. I then serged the purse, again using a three-thread, rolled edge.

Once the purse was serged and I checked my work, I turned the purse inside out so the seam no longer showed.

My daughter then added velcro to fasten the purse. She then added a wire wrapped ring and a set of earrings she made to "fill" the purse.

This is a quick, fun project that we will make again. Great teamwork.

Related Reading
Pattern Report: Kwik Sew 3700, Scrap Fabric Purse
Make Wire Wrapped Rings
NJAD Index by Type of Found Object
NJAD Index by Type of Jewelry Made with Found Objects


Further Reading
"Exclusively You: Easy Fabric Purses (Leisure Arts #4228)"; Leiasur Arts; 2006.
"It's a Wrap: Sewing Fabric Purses, Baskets, And Bowls"; Susan Breier; 2006.
"Making Vintage Bags: 20 Original Sewing Patterns for Vintage Bags and Purses"; Emma Brennan; 2007.
"The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Guide to Sewing and Customizing Your Own Unique Bags"; Lisa Lam; 2010.
"101 Fabulous Fat-Quarter Bags with M'Lis: 10 Projects for Totes & Purses Ideas for Embellishments, Trim, Embroidery & Beads Stylish Finishes-Handles & Closures"; M'Liss Rae Hawley; 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment