Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sewing Apps

The other day I was shopping for fabric and the clerk asked me why I was starring at my phone. Fair question. I keep a list of items I need/want on my notepad and I have a number of sewing apps on my phone that I find useful.... so I thought I would share.

Sewing Kit allows me to keep an inventory of patterns I own and patterns on my wish list. At $8.99, it is a little on the pricey side, but less than the cost of purchasing one pattern by mistake. Some reviews criticize the app as crashing a lot, but most of those reviewers took photos of fabric and to create a fabric portfolio in the app. I do not have enough of a fabric stash to need a mobile inventory and so I have not used the fabric inventory function. My experience has been mostly stable and I enjoy having my pattern information with me when I decide what fabric/notions I need and how much to buy.

There are a growing number of free apps that I enjoy:
Craftgawker is great for finding craft inspiration.
Fabric Converter helps you calculate how much fabric you will need for a project in alternate widths so you buy just enough, but not too much fabric for a given project.
Jo-Ann has a store finder, product search and coupons.
Quilting Calculator helps calculate the needed fabric for borders, binding, backing, batting and piecing. Calculations can be made in metric or yards.
Quilting has short videos demonstrating different quilting techniques. I find these fun to watch, especially when waiting in line.
Quilting Daily has blog entries about quilting, videos featuring different sewing and quilting techniques and a glossary of quilting terms.
Planet Embroidery allows me to draft text based designs in a variety of fonts and then email the design to myself.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment