Friday, September 16, 2011

Pattern Report: Kwik Sew 3053, cotton woven dress that ties in back

Kwik Sew 3052, tie in back
I bought this pattern before I knew about patternreview.com. I selected this pattern because I was determined to sew with more discipline and to learn how to use patterns, rather than sketch, drape and sew. 3053 is in the "learn to sew" series. The drawing looked like it was a basic dress similar to many in my wardrobe. Since the pattern had few pieces, it seemed (or should I say seamed) like a good pattern to begin my "learn to use a pattern when sewing quest."

The pattern got shoved to the bottom of my "to do" list and it was not until late summer I used it. Although my muslin was short sleeves, my intent was to make a fall dress from some yummy cotton fabric in my stash.

Pattern Description: XS-S-M-L-XL

Pattern Sizing:
I cut an XS on top and shaped down to a S at the hips.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes


Kwik Sew 3053, tie in front
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? As with most Kwik Sew patterns, the instructions are very clear.


I really like the fact that Kwik Sew publishes on paper, rather than tissue. Since I often sew patterns I like in different sizes for different family members, I really appreciate a pattern that is more durable and easier to trace.


Fabric Used: Cotton on sale for $2/yard at Hancock Fabrics


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I am undecided. I sewed this as a muslin, but found the dress just boring and blah whether I tied it in the front or the back.


Conclusion: Pattern OK, but I am unlikely to use again.

No comments:

Post a Comment