Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pattern Report: Simplicity 1989, classic woven dress

Simplicity 1989 in silk charmeuse
Pattern Description: Simplicity 1989 Sew Simple Misses Pullover Dress and belt

Pattern Sizing:  Size 6-8-10-12-14-16-18 
I cut an 8 at the top and then tapered down to a size 12 on the bottom.

Simplicity 1989
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very.


Simplicity 1989, wearable muslin in rayon
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love patterned silk so I am often on the hunt for a simple design for a dress.  This pattern fits the bill. The simple, classic design highlights the colorful patterns on the silk and the ease the sewing works will for a slippery, difficult fabric.

Fabric Used: 
I used a rayon from Fabric Mart on sale $3/yard as my wearable muslin. I liked the dress so much I wore it to a cocktail party. My second and third dresses using this pattern were made from printed silk charmeuse. I used VERY different fabrics for each dress and my family were surprised when I told them all three dresses were made from the same pattern.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I added a facing to the neckline and then I used decorative top stitch rather than using bias tape.

I adjusted the bust dart.

I added fullness to the sleeves by cutting the sleeves to a 10, but left the armscythe an 8.

On the third dress I made using this pattern, I laid the back piece on the fold. The back center seam was not needed and interfered with the pattern on the lovely blue silk charmeuse.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes. This pattern is a keeper! I highly recommend this pattern.

Conclusion: A great pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment