Thursday, July 28, 2011

Make an Easy to Sew Fleece Blanket with Your Serger

Need a quick present? I was shopping at my local Hancock Fabrics and could not help but look in the discount bin.  I found some fabulous fleece for $3 and $5 a yard. One of my sons wanted a new stadium blanket for cold days in the stands at school, picnics on sunny days... and other things I may not want to know about. This plaid fleece was the perfect start to a present I can make in under 15 minutes.

Tools
Serger

Materials
Fleece by the yard
Serger thread in coordinating color
Size 12 needles

Step 1
Select the fleece. I chose a plaid to make as a stadium blanket for one of my sons. 

Step 2
Cut the fleece to the size you want for your blanket, if needed. I was able to skip this step. The fleece I bought was 60 inches wide, so I bought exactly the length I needed to create the blanket. A typical throw blanket is about 50 x 70 inches.

Serge off selvedge
Step 3
Set up your serger for a four thread overlock.

Use plaids to serge straight line
Step 4
Serge the edges of the fleece to remove both the edges and the selvedges.

Serged edge as faux binding
The serged edges create faux binding. Designers tip: It is easy to serge a straight line when serging stripes and plaids. Just sew along the line.

Completed blanket!
Related Tutorials
Make a No Sew Fleece Blanket
Make a Throw Blanket from Old Sweaters

Further Reading
"Sew What! Fleece"; Carol Jessop, Chaila Sekora; 2007.
"Fleece for Kids: Easy-To-Sew Clothes & Toys"; Mary Vollertsen; 2005.
"20 No-Sew Fleece Throws (Leisure Arts #3741)"; Banar; 2004.



No comments:

Post a Comment