Sunday, July 24, 2011

Decorate a Handkerchief

Every year, twice a year,  it happens. I begin to panic about what to have my kids do to make "thank you" presents for their teachers. The challenge is great. I want the presents to be something the teacher can use and enjoy, but I want a project my kids and I can make together. For me, handmade is just more thoughtful and I want my kids to at least participate in the process of making the gift, if not make it themselves.

Decorating handkerchiefs is one of my favorite Christmas or end-of-the-year-thank-you gifts. The kids learn to sew and the teacher gets a present he or she can use and enjoy.

Tools
Tailor chalk
Sewing Machine
Embroidery scissors


Materials
Plain white handkerchief for men or women
Decorative thread

Step 1
Select the thread and stitches you want to decorate the handkerchief.

Step 2
Mark the handkerchief with tailors chalk where you want to add the decorative stitches. Since my kids were doing the stitching, I used a ruler to draw a line on the handkerchief to show my beginner sewers exactly where the stitches should go. We set one handkerchief aside to be strictly for practice. Very soon, my kids no longer need to use chalk as guidelines. Skip this step if you ware comfortable stitching.

Step 3
Stitch the first design with the sewing machine.

Step 4
Switch thread. Stitch the second parallel design with the second color thread.

Step 5
Use embroidery scissors to trim threads.

Further Reading
"The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing"; Singer; 2009.
"Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration; Martha Stewart Living Magazine; 2009.
"Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z; Martha Stewart Living Magazine; 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment