Thursday, June 9, 2016

Pattern Report: Kwik Sew 3187, Men's Fleece Jacket

The DH wanted a new fleece jacket. The DH is hard to fit and fussy about jackets in general. DH also does not love fittings. Hmmmm.

My daughter picked out some really nice fleece from Hancock Fabrics for DH and DH selected Kwik Sew 3187 as the style jacket he wanted me to make.

In general, I like Kwik Sew patterns. I like that they are printed on paper rather than tissue. Kwik Sew directions are usually easy to understand. I've made several fleece projects before, including a very similar style jacket for my daughter using Kwik Sew 3085.... but this project proved difficult.

I know, I know. I should have made a muslin, but the fleece was not much more than the cost of muslin and so I plowed ahead. The directions for the pockets puzzled me. I am not sure why, but I read them and read them and something just did not make sense. I cut the pieces and pinned the pockets according to the instructions but the pockets seemed to hang terrible long and looked like hemming would be problematic with the pocket placement.

 I proposed a jacket without pockets but DH was incredulous and told me not to make the jacket if all if it did not have pockets.

After adjusting the pieces and sewing the garment DH decided the jacket was long. Could I cut it shorter? Hmmm. We'd fitted and I'd sewn in the zipper and the dash gone pockets. Shorter? Really?

So the project sits. I know his request is not completely unreasonable. I know I will be able to figure out a way to do it...but right now I need to let it sit...and the man still has no jacket.

The selfish seamstress has a point. It really is easier to sew for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment